Back to Front Marinated Rump
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Feeds 4 people
- 1x 800g - 1kg piece of rump in a single piece (it will be 2-4 cm thick), alternatively, use two very thick sirloin steaks
- 1 cup good quality or extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 anchovies, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons rosemary leaves, finely chopped
- Zest and juice of half a lemon, finely grated
- 2 bunches asparagus, woody ends removed
- Lots of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Brush the steak on both sides with a little of the oil and season well with salt and pepper.
Cook the steak over a medium char grill (it’s a thick lump of meat and you don’t want it black as charcoal) until it is rare or medium rare. When you turn the meat, place the asparagus on the char grill and cook until they begin to soften. As the meat is nearly done, place a tablespoon of the oil in a small baking dish and place it on the barbecue. Add the garlic and anchovies and stir until the anchovies ‘melt’ and the garlic is just a pale golden brown. Add the rosemary and the rest of the oil, just warming it through. Add the lemon zest and juice and plenty of sea salt and black pepper.
Place the steak and asparagus in the baking dish and loosely cover with foil. Turn the steak after five minutes and leave for another two. Remove the steak and cut into thick slices. Serve with the asparagus, potatoes and the remaining delicious juices spooned over the meat and asparagus.
Recipe by Kim Terakes (shown below).