Burgers With Pickled Beetroot
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Feeds 4 people
- 600 g coarsely minced beef
- 4 burger buns, halved
- 100 ml each malt vinegar and white wine vinegar
- 130 g raw sugar
- 1/2 tsp each coriander seeds and white peppercorns
- pinch of dried chilli flakes
- 2 beetroot, peeled and thinly sliced on a mandolin
- 1/2 spanish onion, thinly sliced
Blue Cheese and gherkin sauce
- 1 dill pickle (preferably Polish), finely chopped, plus 1 tbsp dill pickle juice
- 2 tbsp whole egg mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp sour cream
- 20 g Roquefort or other blue cheese, crumbled
- 1 tbsp flat-leaf parsley
- 1 golden shallot, finely diced
1. Heat a barbecue or char-grill pan to high heat. For pickled beet, place vinegars, sugar, spices and 100ml water in a saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to a simmer, stirring to dissolve sugar. Place beetroot and onion in a bowl, pour in hot pickling liquid, stir to separate the layers of beetroot, then place on a bowl of ice for 10 minutes to cool and lightly pickle.
2. Shape beef into 4 patties about 2cm-thick and grill, turning once, until cooked medium (about 3 minutes each side). Set aside on a warm plate to rest (2 minutes).
3. Meanwhile, for blue cheese and gherkin sauce, combine ingredients in a bowl and season to taste.
4. Toast bun halves cut-side down on grill (1 minute), then assemble burgers from the base with lettuce, tomato, beef patty, a good dollop of sauce and beetroot, and serve.
Photo Credit: Ben Dearnley
Recipe by Gourmet Traveller